[Klug-general] My Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop Configuration

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Wed May 5 14:14:09 UTC 2010

On 05/05/10 09:50, David Halliday wrote:
> I installed Ubuntu 10.04 on my desktop this weekend.

I upgraded my 9.10 installation on my Toshiba laptop to 10.04 last
weekend.  The upgrade went fine (except for the annoying thing of having
to do it with the graphical gizmo because nothing else is guaranteed to
work.  As I generally do things like upgrades and big downloads
overnight this is a pain - especially as it stops to tell you which
services will have to be restarted and waits for you to hit OK.

After upgrade I found I had three Kernels available:

   2.6.32-21-generic (default)
   2.6.31-16-generic
   2.6.28-17-generic

The default one hangs on boot.  Grr.  Fortunately I found that the
second option boots OK.  Not had time to look into what's happening - I
get the splash screen and then it goes blank and nothing after that.

The new look and feel desktop is HORRIBLE in my not so humble opinion.
Within three minutes I had set it back to human-clearlooks.  David's
reaction was the same.  My suggestion on that front would be "stop
messing around with pointless re-branding and get on with something useful."

Mike