[Klug-general] On-CD printing (purists, turn away!)

Jake Rayson subs at growdigital.net
Thu May 6 17:12:16 UTC 2010

Just to let people know that I've managed to get on-CD printing working
for my Ubuntu and OpenDisc www.theopendisc.com CDs.

It's using the Canon Pixma iP4700 (thanks for the recommendation Dan!)

But it isn't pretty. I have to run the non-free version of VirtualBox,
using Windows XP and the proprietary Canon software. Ugh. All a bit
ironic considering Richard Stallman's skirmishes with printer software:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Stallman#Decline_of_MIT.27s_hacker_culture

FWIW, you need to add yourself to the vboxusers and lp groups via System
> Administration > Users and Groups, just to get the USB printer to be
seen.

Now though I have a stack of shiny Free Software CDs on my desk :)

cheers, Jake

--
[~] Jake Rayson
[e] subs at growdigital.net