[Klug-general] Graphics card glitches

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Fri May 14 09:16:07 UTC 2010

G'mornin' all,

Two or three years ago our illustrious colleague from Indie IT in
Birchington provided me with a bespoke sooper dooper desktop compooter
which has served me very well and still does. About a month ago the
graphics card blew (NVIDIA 256Mb - make unknown).

I replaced it with a boxed inno3D 512 Mb card which claimed to be nvidia
authorised GeForce 9400. My version of Linux is PCLinuxOS 2010 (32-bit)
This is essentially Mandriva for dummies but improved by Synaptic. It
has recognised this card as NVIDIA 'cards not working with nv'.

It seems to function reasonably well but occasionally the screen goes
black for about 3 seconds. It then recovers and is fine. This happens
more frequently with graphically intense programs like
GoogleEarth/Streetview or Stellarium etc. I wondered if this was a
driver problem. However, I also have a Vista 64-bit (sorry!) on another
partition and I have installed the windoze drivers which came with the
card. Same problem.

Any ideas? Thanks be to all.
MikeR