[Klug-general] Graphics card glitches

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Fri May 14 09:59:56 UTC 2010

On 14/05/10 10:33, Dan Attwood wrote:
> have you tried to install the offical nvidia linux drivers from the
> nvidia website?
Yes, I used the latest nvidia driver from the DVD which came with the
most recent edition of Linux Format magazine. The installation went
flawlessly using the script provided. However, when I rebooted the
computer I'd lost the xserver completely. I had to reinstall and update
from the PCLOS installation DVD. It would seem that the default location
for nvidia files have been changed by PCLOS which don't help much. I am
not clued-up enough to do the job manually.

> also if it's doing the same thing in vista could if be that your power
> supply isn't up to the job?

Ah, I hadn't thought of that. It is a pretty good computer and the power
supply looks quite big. I have three fans in the computer, the power
supply normal one, a fan as part of the processor block (Athlon 64-bit
2.6Ghz dual core) and a separate 3" fan on the backplate drawing air
from over the motherboard generally. This third fan was not actually
connected and had not been used until I spotted that it had not been
plugged in when I put the new graphics card in. Could that be the
culprit? I am not sure the third fan is needed. There was never any
problem earlier when it was unplugged, but the graphics card then was
256Mb and the new one is 512Mb. I've added a task bar temperature
monitor and right now the processor is 24 deg and other components
40deg. That is not too high is it?

I appreciate the advice.
MikeR

+