[Klug-general] copying a symlink to other users

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Fri Nov 5 15:11:16 UTC 2010

> the man page for chmod tells me chmod cannot change the permissions of
> symlinks;
> "chmod never changes the permissions of symbolic links; the chmod system
> call cannot change their permissions."
  Yeah - links always have 777 permissions thinking about it.  But what
the man page for chown says it that you can prevent dereferencing at
that point, so I would have thought you would be able to change the
ownership of the _link_.  Not that this is something I've tried.

In fact I suspect that it is best to follow the rule that, once linked,
the link _is_ the target. So that would mean it is the permissions (and
ownership) of the target you want to change anyway. Would it not be the
case that if the user can't touch the target directory then they equally
won't be permitted to remove the link?  I think that's how it works but
I don't have time to test it right now.

Mike