[Klug-general] Gentoo for the first time.

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Fri Nov 12 15:51:22 UTC 2010

G'day all,
Linux Format this month has a tutorial on Gentoo. Oh good I thought -
I've got an old x86 PC lying around doing nothing so I thought I'd give
it a whirl to keep me awake in the afternoons. All part of the
self-improvement process.

All has gone very well until I read the line:

Open /etc/make.conf and set the following for the USE line:

USE="-gtk -gnome qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr"

Save and exit,....

Ha, how do you do that when the install system does not respond to vi,
ed or emacs?

Presumably an editor is needed to play with the file make.conf.

Am I missing something here?
MikeR