[Klug-general] Keyring

Mike Evans mike at tandem.f9.co.uk
Tue Oct 5 10:40:52 UTC 2010

The keyring thing can be a pain, and I'm working from memory here, and
of course it's all affected by how your distro is configured.  It used
to be easy: networking started at boot time, read data from the various
interface config scripts in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts, which also
contained (shock-horror) any encryption keys you needed.

This can still be done - but most distros these days use
network-manager.  The principle is good - but it's not quite thought
through enough as far as I can tell.  Network manager stores your
encryption key data in the keyring.  The trick here is to have your
keyring password the same as your desktop password and if that is the
case you don't get prompted again for it - at least when using a Gnome
desktop.

However I feel that this model is still not correct.  As far as I can
see the network connection gets established by the first person to log
on, when their desktop starts.  In a house network that means you have
to add the key to each user's keyring in case they are the person
starting the machine up. Once that connection is established it remains
- even if you log off and someone else logs on.  This isn't quite what
you would want as a system administrator.  There should be a central
place to store keys which are system wide - but if there is I've not
found it or it has been added since I last tried.  Maybe someone has
configured it all more recently than I.

MikeE