[Klug-general] A word of warning about wireless WPA-PSK encryption keys

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Fri Oct 8 10:28:30 UTC 2010

On 8 October 2010 11:02, Michael E. Rentell
<michael.rentell at ntlworld.com> wrote:

> On 08/10/10 10:51, James Morris wrote:
>>
>> My BtHomeHub says the following:
>>
>> "Between 8 and 63 characters (which can be letters, numbers and
>> punctuation)."
>>
>> So I decided to include the following symbols in my encryption key: `£#*})
>>
>> DONT!
>>

>> James.

> Presumably because they are all special to the English keyboard variant and
> not recognised internationally? Dunno - just a thought.
> MikeR

I think this has some thing to do with the use of non-ascii characters, like £

Anything outside the basic ASCII range (it good old 7 bit ascii) can
have several different ways of being encoded

In Extended Ascii a £ can have different codes depending on which
ascii table you using, (ISO8859) Generally its A3 and that's its code
in UTF. but somtimes its prefixed by a 0x27 (Escape) and sometimes its
not, depending on your file format. so you need to be a bit careful,
its a bit like the Carriage Return, Line Feed issue between windows
and unix and macs. and why the utility dos2unix is needed.

Peter.