[Klug-general] Stranger?

Richard Ayres klug-mail at richayres2.plus.com
Sun Oct 10 20:09:03 UTC 2010

On 09/10/10 20:18, MacGyveR wrote:
> On Saturday 09 Oct 2010, Richard Ayres wrote:
>
>> Having now managed to set up my 3 old computers, all named after the
>> donors. Daniel,
>> Phil (destined to be a server eventually,)
>>    and last but not least colin ( ta colin).
>> Any way the problem is when I do a traceroute from colin to daniel I get:
>>    1 hop colin.lan  192.168.1.70            1.1 ms
>> 1 hop woodie.lan 192.168.1.67           75 .4 ms
>> 1 hop woodie.lan 192.168.1.67           13.5 ms
>>
>> Tracing from daniel to colin I get;
>> 1 hop woodie.lan 192.168.1.67            .4 8ms
>>    1 hop colin.lan  192.168.1.70           11.5 ms
>>    1 hop colin.lan  192.168.1.70            11.8 ms
>>
>> Similar results tracing from phil.
>> Is this woodie an intruder? and what has happened to daniel? The name in
>> /etc/hostname is still daniel.
>>    I have tried to  access the address but get "failed to connect".
>>     He.........lp
>>                    Rich

> Did you ever have a pc called "woodie" on your lan? Have you tried rebooting
> your router or check that woodie is not listed in its dhcp/dns/rdns cache

As far as I know the computer was never named woodie and certainly not
by me. However when I go to the router page there is a WiFi connection
called woodie with the same IP address as daniel which is shown as
connected to ethernet (inactive). Anyway I have renamed the wifi
connection as Daniel. This machine has had so many linux upgrades and
re-installs I don't know.
      Something has just struck me I used my copy of XP to obtain the
driver for NDisWrapper
  could it be that woodie was a windows user at one time and that the
router assigned this to the wireless connection?
     Rich