[Klug-general] freeing up space on exchange

Evan Ingram evan.ingram at cariss.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 11:11:12 UTC 2010

Hi all,

yes its LUG but I'm sure lots of you have MS exchange experience, I need
some help being someone with very little exchange experience :)

Adopted a customer with an exchange server, which is now v low on disk
space, <200mb on the c: drive. Has other drives with plenty of space
that are shared drives for documents.

I figured to quickly free up some space I'd just look to see if there
was any unnecessary email that could be deleted from users inboxes in
exchange. Some users had a few gigs worth of email dating back 8 years!
I got them to archive and delete from their mailboxes. But it hasnt
freed up any space on the server.

Do I need to defrag the mailbox store as per:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5988691_do-exchange-2003-mailbox-store_.html

Is it really as simple and problem free as it sounds??

cheers
evan