[Klug-general] VPN

Michael-John Turner mj at mjturner.net
Thu Sep 2 10:10:20 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 10:31:21AM +0100, Mike wrote:
> RTFM :-)  Seriously, the OpenVPN site nicely documents how to setup
> OpenVPN and has a quick start guide to get you up and running.  It isn't
> nearly as complicated as it sounds.  As you say you need to generate a
> Certificate Authority and corrisponding key, then generate a client cert
> and use the CA to sign the client cert.  It's a command for each of the
> files and a fourth to sign the cert.  The cert goes on the client and
> the CA goes on the server.  It's basically your password.  The config
> file is about 12 lines.  Myself and a colleague have both set this up in
> about 10 minutes.  If you think OpenVPN is painful, try setting up an
> IP/Sec VPN!

Seconded. OpenVPN isn't difficult to configure and, in my experience, works
very well. Without wanting to sound churlish, it's not wise to implement a
VPN without understanding the security implications, encryption, etc so I'd
advise the OP to make sure he understands them completely before
implementing anything.

> I haven't tried the product that some of the others have mentioned, so
> you may want to check that out too.

I've not used it either but a quick search reveals it's proprietary
software.

-mj
--
 Michael-John Turner