[Klug-general] VPN

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Fri Sep 3 09:28:41 UTC 2010

On 2 September 2010 11:15, Martin A. Brooks <martin at antibodymx.net> wrote:
> On Thu, September 2, 2010 09:40, Peter Childs wrote:
>> I'm looking for some help on VPNs. For the purpose of getting into
>> lans else where.
>>
>> Open VPN seams to be the cheap, free, open way to go, however its very
>> very complicated, this idea of needing, a Certificate, a Private Key
>> and something else and generating all of these are quite difficult to
>> generate also they have already baffled me.
>
> You'll want my OpenVPN HOWTO then:
>
> http://hinterlands.org/wiki/index.php/OpenVPNQuickstart

Hmm Yes I've found very similar docs in about 30 places on-line.....

What I really need to know is why doen't it seam to work. (Error
messages about "Self Signed Keys" when there is nothing really wrong
with "Self Signed Keys"

What do these Certificates do and who needs to have them..... and who
really ought to have them,

What are the pem files. etc

A list of commands to set it up don't get me very far when they don't work.

What I'm trying to do is add a remote computer to a remote network that's

so remote network is on

192.168.0.* and I want to attach my remote computer over the internet to it.

Oh I've got it working over pptp currently but I'm not sure how
reliable it is as it was working, broke for a week or two and now it
works again, I'm thinking it was a fault at the ISP end up I'm not
currently sure....

Peter