[Klug-general] Kent Socials

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Tue Apr 5 21:13:02 UTC 2011

On 5 April 2011 19:30, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:
> On 5 April 2011 19:25, james snyder <snyder.webmaster at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Damn my car has just died (again!) too ****!
>
> So thats's why I'm the only one here....

I think this is why the Maidstone Socials died......

Mind you the Wifi here is very good.

In the end there was just David and myself. and yes I agree with David
an excellent discussion on what we are currently up to.....

I don't think we should give up straight away but more work is
possibly needed to improve attendance/membership.

Issues as far as I see them are.

1. Can't find each other in the pub so anyone who turns up wonders
around looking lost.

2. Pubic Transport in Kent is terrible (would use stronger language
here but not sure if that is a good plan)  and hence most drive and
hence this limits consumption of beer and makes us reliant on
unreliable and expensive cars. (or other motor vehicles)

3. We are too spread out, Kent is geographically big, and we can't
seam to manage enough members in any one centre of population....

4. We all have busy lives. and even out once a month tech meets are
very variable in attendance.

How we solve these issues, I don't know. I think part of the issue is
the L in Lug

We don't really have as much as you think to do with Linux. I would
say we have more to do with "Open Source" and encourage all computer
hobbyists even  if they use Windows, BSD, Solaris, Apple, Kurd or what
ever the more unusual the better :). Our strength is in diversity.

We spoke about doing a meet themed to legacy computer gear a while
ago, I don't think its a bad plan..... Must get out the old Atari ST.
(1040FM 20Mb Hard Disk with "High Res" monitor (1024x768 black and
white)) and check it still works.

Peter