[Klug-general] QR-Codes

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed Apr 6 21:28:27 UTC 2011

Following a conversation with David Holiday last night in the pub, he
mentioned he had suggested qrcode codes to be used for BarCamp.... My
reply was what are they and what can I actually do with them. (My
knowledge being (from 10 years ago) that doing any kind of image
reading was hard work at best.....

Anyway following that and a bit of googling, I came across zbar. Its a
bar code reading utility with plugins for most of the standard apis.
but zbarcam reads my webcam on my netbook and prints any barcodes it
reads to the standard output, I've only tested it with the backs of
two books and so long as the books are held straight and close enough
it reads the bar codes fine.....

so qrcodes can be generated with..... qrencode and read with zbar
quite neat really.....

http://zbar.sourceforge.net/

Peter