[Klug-general] Gnome3

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 08:51:06 UTC 2011

I still think that people should give the new Gnome shell a go, try and use
it for something productive to see how they get on with it. I tried it out
briefly and I did like some of the changes and thought there were some good
ideas in it.

I do like the new ideas (Innovation is good even if the new ideas
aren't immediately beneficial). It's worth trying it out just to see what
parts of it ARE good/interesting as with anything technical, understanding
something that you ultimately decide to be a bad way of working is still
getting a good understanding of what (in your opinion) is a bad way of
working and why it isn't appropriate to your future projects.

I gave it a try, it is very different especially in comparison to those
people who are evilwm users. Some things of it I liked, the only feature
that put me off was a privacy issue of tiling the windows to select which
one to switch to. While this is very useful, not always good when working on
something and your significant other comes over and asks you to look
something up and you have just minimised the window containing
their birthday present.