[Klug-general] Gnome3

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 09:10:11 UTC 2011

Here is a perfectly timed article for this discussion:
http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/GNOME-3-and-Its-Fallback-Desktop

FTA:
<http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/GNOME-3-and-Its-Fallback-Desktop>The
fallback could be described as a compromise between the GNOME 2 release
series and GNOME 3. On the one hand, like GNOME 2, the fallback includes the
familiar Applications / Places / System menus and workspace switchers, and
title bar buttons for minimizing and maximizing windows, instead of GNOME
3's hot spots on the edges of the desktop. In fact, if you are used to
opening applications from the menu, then the fallback will be instantly
familiar (and you can stop searching for an alternative to GNOME 3 if you
are wishing for one it).