[Klug-general] Gnome3

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 14:27:04 UTC 2011

On 7 April 2011 12:11, George Prowse <george.prowse at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 07/04/2011 09:42, David Halliday wrote:
>>
>> I still think that people should give the new Gnome shell a go, try and
>> use it for something productive to see how they get on with it. I tried
>> it out briefly and I did like some of the changes and thought there were
>> some good ideas in it.
>>
>> I do like the new ideas (Innovation is good even if the new ideas
>> aren't immediately beneficial). It's worth trying it out just to see
>> what parts of it ARE good/interesting as with anything technical,
>> understanding something that you ultimately decide to be a bad way of
>> working is still getting a good understanding of what (in your opinion)
>> is a bad way of working and why it isn't appropriate to your future
>> projects.
>>
>> I gave it a try, it is very different especially in comparison to those
>> people who are evilwm users. Some things of it I liked, the only feature
>> that put me off was a privacy issue of tiling the windows to select
>> which one to switch to. While this is very useful, not always good when
>> working on something and your significant other comes over and asks you
>> to look something up and you have just minimised the window containing
>> their birthday present.
>>
> As someone who enjoys gnome I was looking forward to Gnome 3. I was
> expecting a great evolution of Gnome 2 but I think they may have taken it
> too far.
>
> Here is a better view and review:
> http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2011/04/ars-reviews-gnome-30-a-shiny-new-ornament-for-your-linux-lawn.ars

I read the review the other day. Interesting. There were several
things mentioned which told me I wouldn't enjoy using it. The comments
seem obviously mostly made by people not using Linux, or by people who
don't really understand that many elements of Linux are made by people
voluntarily and not by paid software developers.

Anyway, I'm going to try Gnome3 once I've found the path to doing so
in Arch Linux.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3#Introduction

With regard to some of the criticism mentioned in the review and its
comments posted above, it *might* be a matter of enabling hidden
features:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3#Enabling_hidden_features

Also something to remember is this is the first release of Gnome 3, it
will need some time to evolve.

But firstly, I'm installing KDE4.6 to see how that;s evolved since the
last time I tried it.

Cheers,
James.