[Klug-general] Hard Drives

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Tue Apr 19 18:06:32 UTC 2011

On 19 April 2011 13:58, Paul Littlefield <info at paully.co.uk> wrote:
> I use Western Digital every time - on my servers, laptop and home DAS.

In the end I concluded that pritty much any SATA drive would do, and
got a Cheap 1/2 Terrabyte Barracuda Segate drive off Amazon.

My old broken drive seams fine, switched the SATA port on my
motherboard and switched the SATA cable with that from the DVD/RW
drive and that seams to have fixed the problem.....

In conclusion Hard Drives cost about £20 plus £20 per a Terra Byte.
NAS are all very well but they cost the same as an extra computer. USB
is only any good if you want mobility, If you NEED fast you need to
look at Cache and a fast drive the bus is not the slowest thing any
more....

Peter.