[Klug-general] Surround Sound

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 15:57:29 UTC 2011

On 20/04/11 16:39, Daniel Ellis wrote:
> I had 5.1 working over HDMI a few nights ago.  This was on Ubuntu
> 11.04 beta2, which includes ALSA 1.0.24.  I had to use the Ubuntu beta
> as I think ALSA did not handle surround properly on previous versions.

Ah, that sounds (excuse the pun) like it might answer my problem - I have the Center channel coming from my subwoofer. A lot of Google about ALSA drivers and so forth. I spent 2 hours last night on it. I have Analog Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right and Subwoofer all good, just no speech out of the Center Channel - or to be more precise, the subwoofer box is not pushing thesignal to the center speaker.

I currently have Mythbuntu 10.10 with ALSA 1.0.23, so I might wait for 1.0.24.

> I can't do any more testing just now, as I have RMA'd my AV system
> (for consuming 40 watts in standby!).  So hopefully that will be back
> soon.

Oh, I went for these Logitech Z506 ones on eBay for £70:-
http://tinyurl.com/42nyzoa

but wished I had the money for these:-
http://tinyurl.com/3f47xrq

:-)