[Klug-general] Surround Sound

Paul Littlefield info at paully.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 17:40:13 UTC 2011

On 20/04/11 18:00, Tom Carlson wrote:
> Over HDMI? How's that work then? I thought HDMI couldn't cope with 5.1
> "raw"/PCM audio...

Yes, it's a minefield. I have HDMI coming from my MythTV box to my TV for just the video and HDMI from the PS3 for both video and audio.

I could have gone 2 ways with the Surround Sound - Analog or Digital.

If I had enough money, I would have gone digital and bought the nicer Logitech Z906 Speakers for £360 and plugged in a tiny single S/PDIF cable from both my MythTV box and PS3 to a beautiful set of THX Certified speakers and let the inbuilt Digital-to-Analog converter handle the old DVD AC3 signal.

However, I don't have £360 at the moment, so went for the Z506 Analog Speakers for £70 which need 3 cables run from the motherboard.

After 2 hours, I don't have 5.1 - more 5.0 - no Center Channel.

This is a learning curve for me, so any experience with ALSA and Surround Sound for Analog is gratefully received...

...and yes, I am sure that more hours spent with 15 Firefox tabs open and a terminal running

$ speaker-test

...will eventually get me there!

:-)

Paully