[Klug-general] audio systems/servers/apis.

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Sat Apr 23 06:44:21 UTC 2011

The issue is that many apps talk a back end api when they should be
talking a front end api and end up doing.

app -> alsa -> pulse -> alsa -> out

gstreamer does

app -> gstreamer -> pulse -> alsa -> out (I believe)

phonon is a slightly incomplete api in that it can't currently handle
input but...

app -> phonon -> gstreamer -> pulse -> alsa -> out

I've still not got my head round them yet.

Peter.