[Klug-general] Disaster Recovery?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 08:43:19 UTC 2011

On 24 April 2011 07:53, sharon kimble <boudiccas at talktalk.net> wrote:
> I've just installed Debian 6 as my desktop and in the process managed
> to format and install debain 6 onto my external hard drive. This
> contained <all> my backups of everything in my home folder. So now
> I'm having to start afresh with everything but means that I've also lost
> everything too.
>
> The drive was formatted either ext3 or ntfs, i'm not sure which, but i
> would be eternally grateful if someone could restore all the information
> on it, or work with me following their commands to restore it.

I've used ext3undelete in the past, but found that the date/time
window didn't seem to work (or I couldn't figure out how to make it
work) and it restored everything - so if you've got a partition large
enough to hold the partition you're restoring... Great.... If not, you
can delete the directories you don't want after it's moved onto the
next.

The downside is It's very technical.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~carlo17/howto/undelete_ext3.html

James.