[Klug-general] Samba....

Laurence Southon laurence at southon.uk.net
Wed Apr 27 07:19:21 UTC 2011

On 26/04/11 20:20, Peter Childs wrote:
> So if I set up a Samba Based File server without it being a PDC how do
> I add users and allow people to set passwords simply?
>
> Is there a standard Web admin thing I can install and use ie Webmin?
Samba will use its own passwd database. What's awkward is that to work
each user has to have both a Samba and a Unix passwd, but Webmin is
indeed your friend here as it can be configured to deal with both
simultaneously - create a user, and they will be created/edited both as
unix and Samba users in one operation.

Downside of not having a PDC is that you would have to use the Webmin
'change password' module. With a PDC users could change passwords from
Windows. There is a balance between ease of setup and later usability.
Alternatively users can be put into LDAP. Although harder work, LDAP
could then be used, for example, for email authentication or anything
else that can use LDAP.

I don't know of a magic bullet on this, just some tricky choices.

Regards,

LS
--
Laurence Southon