[Klug-general] Samba....

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Fri Apr 29 18:02:47 UTC 2011

I did (a few years ago when still in Rochester) spend quite some time
working with samba and authentication.

I wanted to achieve a number of goals:

   1. Users access a FTP, SSH and other services on a Linux server using AD
   usernames/passwords.
   2. Users authenticate to Linux workstations using their AD credentials.

Since I wanted to provide a number (and provide many more) services to users
I found that the solution was to configure pam (which is one of the main
central authentication engines) to allow authentication against the AD
server. This might be overkill or it might prove to be the simple solution
to all your problems, but once you get one service working through pam, you
can have any other authenticating against the same method.

My notes are here: http://david-halliday.co.uk/?Linux:AD_Authentication
They are a little old but reference a more in depth guide. I recently helped
implement a similar configuration (with in the past 6 months on a
centos installation) at work and little had changed.

The most important thing to check (and maintain) is that the Linux box and
the Microsoft server that it is authenticating against have the same time.
Where possible make them sync against the same server regularly (or
one against the other) as the time being out (and it doesn't have to be
much) can be a confusing hurdle.

For anyone who is interested in playing with authentication pam is
interesting as it is modular and you can fairly quickly build and implement
your own methods including authentication against something like a MySQL
server database if you particularly wanted.

I have not used any of the purpose built NAS on a CD distros (but many look
good).

We use CentOS at work and they seem good, I have used Cent OS in other
places too.  CentOS looked good a few years ago as Red Hat (from which its
derived) was the "solid business choice" and many proprietary applications
that were targeted at businesses were predominantly tested (and supported)
on Red Hat, so having a Red Hat based distribution makes life easier there.
I have wanted to use Debian in production servers but have always been out
voted by people who have a red hat background.

With the rise of Ubuntu and now Ubuntu Server... Things could shift in
support/consensus.