[Klug-general] Permissions problem

sharon kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Wed Dec 14 16:58:25 UTC 2011

On Wednesday 14 December 2011 11:38:50 Michael E. Rentell wrote:
> Good morning all,
> Is anyone able to tell me what I've done wrong this time?!
>
> I use grsync to backup the entire contents of my /home/me/ directory on
> my main desktop PC to a similar one called /home/me/Backups on my second
> desktop. I do this, over the domestic wired ethernet, by mounting the
> remote Backups directory under /mnt/.. and then using grsync to copy the
> stuff over.
>
> This used to work but now I am not sure. There are, of course, thousands
> of files and they whip up quite quickly but literally dozens of them
> appear in red and one of the ones I have been able to read says:
>
> rsync:recv_generator:mkdir "directory-details" failed. Permission
> denied(13)
>
> I have changed the permissions on the remote machine with
>
> chown -R root:root /home/Backups
>
> and everything in it went to root. So I then logged on to the second
> machine as root (it's PCLinuxOS) and let it run like that. And of course
> the grsync from my main machine runs under sudo because it is Ubuntu.
>
> I think new files are being delivered to the remote machine, but it does
> not look like any new directories are being created or their contents.
>
> All ideas would be very welcome at this time (consultant speak!).

Mike.
Is there any specific reason why you're using 'grync'? Could you not use
'rsync' from a cron job? If you go to my blog you'll see that the last two
posts have been about how i've implemented rsync for my backups to an external
usb hard drive. I'm sure that with  a bit of tweaking and help you could also
use rsync correctly, and copy everything that you want to copy over and still
retain the users permissions.

Take care
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.3, KDE 4.4.5, LibreOffice 3.4.4