[Klug-general] Permissions problem

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 15 12:29:49 UTC 2011

On 15/12/11 11:41, Mike Evans wrote:
> Sorry to come to this late.
>
> If you are using NFS to mount the drive then it will work provided
> your user ID numbers are the same on each machine as that's what NFS
> uses. (Hopelessly insecure but hey they assume that you know what
> you're doing and can secure your network properly.)  However there is
> an exception to this:  root is protected and the default behaviour is
> to do what's called 'rootsquash' - which stops root on one machine
> being root on another.  There is some setting you can change to open
> that hole too if you really need to.
>
> MikeE

I suspect that I am using samba because the cli line I use to connect is:

mount -t cifs //192.168.2.4/Backups /mnt/backups -o
username=mick,password=mick

That connects no problem when using sudo from the cli. I can read all
the files there and copy them back individually to my main machine. But
if I try to copy to it, I normally use nautilus, stuff from the main
machine to the mounted directory it is forbidden.

When I sudo grsync (I find rsync too intimidating with all those
baffling parameters) it whips through all the files to send and about a
quarter of them are shown in red with permission denied error 13. All
the rest show up in black and you would think they are going over OK.
But when I check on the backup machine none have been updated - even if
I tell nautilus to refresh the list just in case it's missed something.

The backup machine uses PCLinuxOS so I can use its very useful admin
tools to check the samba shares and the backup file has the password for
mick set and its read/write permissions set. When I cli ls -l that
backup directory all the directories are drwxrwxrwx and all the files in
them are rwxrwxrwx.

So I have no backup facility now.

I've looked at other backup solutions but they all seem to produce an
archive file which can only be restored in full. I need a backup from
which I can retrieve a single file if needed.

Still baffled - sorry folks. No doubt I'm still a bear of very little
brain. But I do appreciate all the suggestions I've received over the
past 24 hours. Everyone seems to be bending their minds to my problem.
No doubt it is a trivial thing, but it's beyond my minimal capabilities
at the moment.
MikeR