[Klug-general] Document Production

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Mon Feb 14 22:17:40 UTC 2011

There is a HTML 2 LATEX application out there.

You can build latex in any language, its markup like HTML but unless you
want it to look like a Donald Knuth book you have to work with the styles. I
have worked with outputting to latex (or .tex) and then to print format.
Most printers happily accept postscript which latex also does.

If I were you I'd experiment with a few mark up languages, starting with the
one you are most familiar with mocking up a template filled with good old
lorem ipsum as a filler where you want your text/data and see how printing
that goes. I know HTML prints fine with good style sheets from within
chrome/firefox so I assume that something could print it happily from the
command line.

I have just seen PPML: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPML
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPML>from google but can't see any OSS
software for it.

It might also be worth looking into mail merge type applications.