[Klug-general] OU Linux Course

klug-mail at richayres2.plus.com klug-mail at richayres2.plus.com
Thu Jul 7 20:07:05 UTC 2011

> Greetings from the 'Great South' region of Western Australia! Up here in
> the Porongerups, it's been snowing!
>
> I've had several enquiries from KLUGers following my post about the OU's
> Linux course.
>
> For further details of the course (module) take a look at:
> http://www3.open.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/course/t155.htm
>
> This is very much an introductory course, but in discussion with the
> course team chairperson, I sense that he is keen to explore
> opportunities to develop the University's offerings in Linux/Open Source
> Software. Andrew Can't-remember-his-surname-here-in-the-bush has offered
> to address a KLUG event  about his thoughts and to receive feedback.
>
> Hope you are all nice and warm!
>
> Rodney
>
>  I completed this course quite recently. It is quite basic, but I found
some of it quite useful. The distros studied (Ubuntu/DSL) were run in a
VM and at the time I hadn't got a machine fast enough!!!!. After
consultation I was permitted to do full installs using digital photos
as evidence, until the system was capable of taking screen shots. An
introduction to the CLI. and various other stuff. As with all OU
courses (I am an OU science graduate, so speak from experience), there
is loads of support and it is a very enjoyable experience. They are
thinking of doing a Part II I believe. I have already voted for that.
    R.