[Klug-general] Firewall on Natty?

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Tue Jul 12 11:10:35 UTC 2011

On 11/07/11 21:06, Peter Childs wrote:

> On 11 July 2011 19:40, Michael E. Rentell
> <michael.rentell at ntlworld.com <mailto:michael.rentell at ntlworld.com>>
> wrote:
>
>     Has anyone found the firewall app on Ubuntu ver 11.04 with Unity?
>     Something is blocking my access to samba shared printers and I
>     want to check.
>     MikeR

> Its not so much the firewall but default Cups settings. I'm guessing
> your not on the local machine.
>
> Go to the printer server and visit localhost:631 on the local machine
> and under Admin select "Allow Remote Admin"
>
> Plan B.... load System-config-printer under server, settings select
> allow remote admin.
>
> Plan C... Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and edit the line "Listen
> localhost:631" to "Port 631" or something else appropriate...
>
> Peter.
Very many thanks for that Peter. It worked.

Actually what I am doing is migrating from PCLinuxOS to Ubuntu 11.04
with Unity. Not by choice, but the latest on-line upgrades to KDE in
PCLOS stopped my sound card working properly and nothing I could do
improved the situation. I need the sound, especially the microphone as I
use Skype for on-line meetings - it went dead. As a (now former) KDE
slave I then tried Mageia (too new - same problem), Mandriva (too old -
same problem), SuSE same problem. I came to the conclusion that it is
the most recent version of KDE which is the problem, not the distro. So
I went for the world standard and after a steep learning curve with
Unity am now all set up.

But I must have Windows for my Sage accounts program so I run XP under
VirtualBox. That all worked fine except that my usual link line for
printers didn't function and if I install the printers directly to the
WinXP they are not available to the Linux setup when both are running.

But thanks to your advice everything now works exactly as I want it to.
It seems that even if you tick the 'shared' box on natty's printer
setup, it still seems that it isn't available. You have to use the CUPS
config stuff on localhost:631 to complete the transaction.

Being new to Ubuntu I didn't know that. I do now.

Cheers

MikeR