[Klug-general] Auto Updating Photo Slide Show

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 17:34:34 UTC 2011

Hi, I have been asked to set up a system to show photographs at a wedding
(this can then apply to any other type of event).

The features are:

   - Display a slideshow of images
   - Allow images to be sent to an email address.
   - Copy images over by hand.
   - Display the email address to send images to.
   - Preferentially have some priority control on images so new ones are
   shown first.

I don't know if any particular image software for linux exists that can do
much of this. But What I was thinking of doing was a light weight window
manager and using a shell script with the following logic:

   1. Check email account, download new messages, extract images and copy to
   image dir.
   2. Update a database with new images (sqlite for example from shell
   script).
   3. Select image file from database (which contains numbers on priority
   and times image shown) semi random favouring new images or those with high
   priority.
   4. Handing the file name to an application (qiv for example) which will
   then display that image.
   5. Every 5 images (perhaps we can make this variable) display a nice
   image saying "send your picture to whatever at email.com"

What do you guys think?
Am I reinventing the wheel?
Has anyone set up anything like this before?