[Klug-general] low RAM

Dan Attwood danattwood at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 08:15:24 UTC 2011

it's always worth backing it up just in case. After you've saved it just
reboot the machine (or restart gdm) and then you'll see if it's worked.

Worse case scenario is that the display manager will fail to start and
you'll be left at a flashing cursor. from there you can do the following
things to recover:

sudo cp /home/rene/xorg.backup /etc/X11/xorg.conf   - this copies your
backup file back into the correct location then do

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart - this will restart the display manager and
hopefully all is good.

The nuclear option is

sudo rm /etc/X11/xorg.conf && sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

This will delete your xorg.conf and the restart the display manager, when it
restarts it should automatically recreate the xorg.conf