[Klug-general] Kent BCS event - Washing Away Cave Paintings (Animation and Games Development)

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Mon Mar 14 20:53:23 UTC 2011

On 14 March 2011 13:26, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if Kent LUG people are interested in this or not, but this looks
> interesting from the Kent branch of the BCS: http://www.kent.bcs.org/
>
> Not sure if you would like this sort of thing added to the LUG calendar or
> not or if we should look to form a tie of some sorts with Kent branch of the
> BCS?

Not sure if I should really  ask this, when I have a BCS email address, but
ils anyone here actually a member of the BCS?

I let my membership expire when I stopped being a student, they charged an
arm and a leg for membership, and you needed friends to be able to go
forward in your membership, the value of which seamed to be that they then
charge you more money!

I could not really see the value anyway, unless its supported by your
employer and very very few people really work for the size of company able
to support it due to its shear cost...

Actually membership is only £95 per a year but that seams like a lot
for something I just could not see the real value in. and I don't think
being able to put extra letters after my name is of any real value when
nobody will ever know what they mean...

I actually questioned there rep at the Expo up in London (6 weeks ago), but
none of there leaflets seamed to show any real value in membership that I
could not get out of a Lug or possible by joining Ukuug, (Which actually
more people might know what it is and its 1/3 of the price!)

Peter
PS. The only value I could see back when I was a student was the Free email
address for life, which seriously now I can get off Google for free! But
back 10 years ago getting an email address that was not fixed to your ISP
was quite hard work.