[Klug-general] Meeting notes from Sat 26th March

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 06:16:51 UTC 2011

Here are the notes I took. Hope everyone enjoyed a great meeting.

On Saturday 26th March KLUG visited Custodian Data Centre in Maidstone.
Leonard from Custodian DC invited us to come and have a tour of their data
centre and host our meeting in one of their rooms. Thirteen people showed up
and they were.

*Attendees and what they are recently been doing:*

Karl B. - playing around with Gnome3/Unity

Luc – getting a headache, working for housing society. Hoping for stage 2
interview for PHD.

Reece – working from home, learning Cocoa.

Richard – still learning.

Mike E. - noticed recent earthquake data on Google Earth.

Dan M. - delurking since moving out of Kent and back to Surrey doesn’t go to
Surrey LUG as they are all weird.

Colin – getting www.opsi.org setup which is a Linux based Windows Management
server.

Chris – retired at Christmas from working at a Primary School, hopes to have
more time to learn about Linux.

Peter – playing with Asterisk and working out how best to configure.

David – hating Microsoft SQL. Doing lots of work with build management, and
getting other peoples Java code to compile.

Julia – taken 6.5 years but finally has email on her phone. Had fun with
IMAP.

Dan A. - playing with jQuery mobile, may do talk about it later in the year.

Allen - web developer by trade. Been working on making a XLS spreadsheet to
Javascript. Learned how to install Postgress SQL.

*Tour of Data Centre:*

Leonard and Rob talked to us about Custodian, how the data centre operates
and tools used. Had tour of their green data centre, which is a lot more
efficient than other centres.

*Demo of Gnome 3 and Ubuntu Unity:*

Karl did a demo of Gnome 3 after finally getting it started. Some issues
with Gnome 3 and Ubuntu 10.10. Majority of KLUG members not impressed with
Gnome 3, got a lot of thumbs down.

Karl did a demo of the alpha of Ubuntu Unity, which is based on Ubuntu
Netbook Edition. This will be default in new Ubuntu 11.04. Everyone thought
side menus make sense with widescreen monitors. Showed us the Universal Menu
bar which is like the menu on Mac OSX. More KLUG users liking Unity, we
could all see 'consumers' using it.

All KLUG members plan to stick with Gnome 2 or other Windows Manager.

*Explanation of KLUG unofficial structure. Donation notice:*

Colin explained about how KLUG operates. Mentioned about our voluntary
donations and that we have given as a group to two FLOSS projects so far.
Money is also used to pay for our Dover meeting location which in January
cost £17.

*Demo of SVN:*

David did demo of Subversion (version control system)., starting with
install. Showed RapidSVN a GUI client.

*Next Meeting:*

Our next meeting which is on Saturday 30th April is many of us attending
Barcamp Canterbuty. Meeting after that will be Saturday 28th May.