[Klug-general] Window Managers

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 10:17:08 UTC 2011

I used to like fluxbox, it is light weight like EvilWM but a little more
user friendly.

I liked features like tabbing of applications (you can even mix them).
It has a feature called the "slit" which is a very versatile dock for
applications (including monitors and in the old days a "mount app" for
drives). While it wasn't for application launching it worked well.

The only things that Ubuntu gave me that fluxbox on Debian didn't (without
more customisation than I was prepared to invest time on):
- Resize windows from more than a small part of the corner.
- A collection of GUI applications for system administration (I'm aware this
isn't so much a shortfall in fluxbox but an aspect of Ubuntu as a distro but
it was a big decider).

Perhaps next time I have a spare few hours I might well put Debian on my
desktop and get back going with fluxbox.

I was interested in enlightenment, but when I tried it previously I couldn't
get into the configuration and themes seemed complicated (this was some many
years ago) So I imagine (hope) that things have changed in the past 6 -10
(I'm not sure of the last time I tried it with any seriousness).

On 27 March 2011 14:14, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

> I'm wondering if the best Desktop Environment would to take the EvilWM
> window nanager, and add the dock (except we can't call it that of Unity
>
> Maybe forgetting the idea of a shared menu bar (it does not work with every
> app anyway), as something that came out of the 1980s Cira Gem Desktop (Atari
> ST) and has not been done again since....... (except the mac never actually
> managed to lose it........
>
> Peter

Sent from my email client that wishes not to directly advertise itself or
any hardware platform!