[Klug-general] Tried debian again

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 10:31:52 UTC 2011

"You wrote a how-to on installing debian? Surely they have their own
documentation?"

It isn't so much a "how to" more a "how I did it". I try to keep
notes, especially if I have to look something up like configuring the nvidia
cards. I can be very forgetful and the wiki makes it easy to copy/paste
terminal commands for later reuse.

"I found Debian very easy to install on my laptop, but i didn't
document it as it just went on so easily with the GUI. Everything just
worked, except i'm still struggling to get a network connection, but
i'm hoping that goes okay when i get round to working on it."

I could have made life a lot easier for myself using the GUI installer (I
think I'll do that tonight if I get time). I was trying to see if I could do
a very minimal installation, sadly the whole experiment backfired on me. I
will try again to make myself feel better!

"Debian rocks. Ubuntu is the dark side. Use the force Luke."

While part of me agrees with this, I am just left with memories of how much
Ubuntu did for me in the setup in comparison to Debian. It is a personal
choice about how much you want the install/setup to do/choose for you etc...
I think I will try the GUI installer later (if I get time) and do a more
like with like comparison.

On 29 March 2011 10:19, James Morris <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> Debian rocks. Ubuntu is the dark side. Use the force Luke.
>

> On 29 March 2011 00:19, George Prowse <george.prowse at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 28/03/2011 22:36, David Halliday wrote:
> >>
> >> Well, I tried debian again and fluxbox. My notes are on my wiki (15 mins
> >> to document a long two hours):
> >> http://david-halliday.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:system:main_debian
> >>

> >> <http://david-halliday.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:system:main_debian
> >Didn't
> >> go to plan, spent ages messing around with graphics card when all I
> >> needed to do was restart! Perhaps my next OS install will be Xubuntu.
> >>

> > You wrote a how-to on installing debian? Surely they have their own
> > documentation?

> --
> _
> : http://jwm-art.net/
> -audio/image/text/code/

Sent from my email client that wishes not to directly advertise itself or
any hardware platform!