[Klug-general] Second monitor driver for LXDF setup

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Thu Mar 31 10:30:26 UTC 2011

Thanks for that thoughtful reply Aitch.

At the moment I am almost totally satisfied with LXDF and as I am sold
on PCLOS with KDE 4.6 on my main desktop I really would like to stick
with PCLOS/LXDF on the old laptop. As I say, everything works very well
and I use LibreOffice which is much better than OOo. I shall upgrade
this laptop with some more RAM and a bigger HD later in April so
capacity isn't a problem. The only problem is accessing the D-9 socket
at the back for a second monitor. If I load PCLOS/KDE 4.6 on the laptop
then the socket becomes available but it flickers a lot. I now suspect
that if I turn off the Compiz flashiness, then the flickering will stop
and it will be usable. But then it becomes very slow because of the load
imposed by KDE.

Ideally I need a lightweight gui (I can't show other people's PowerPoint
presentations without a gui) and LibreOffice on a laptop system which
retains access to the D-9 socket.

I'll look closely at your suggestions and see what I can achieve. I
appreciate your thinking about my problems.

MikeR