[Klug-general] Technical Meeting Saturday 28th May

Peter Childs pchilds at bcs.org
Wed May 18 15:29:15 UTC 2011

On 18 May 2011 14:20, Paul Littlefield <info at paully.co.uk> wrote:
> On 18/05/11 14:14, Colin McCarthy wrote:
>>
>> You need to run your own fiber to four different data centres and get a
>> backup microwave link :)
>
> Oh, simples. We can talk about doing that at the meeting as well then.
>
> ;-)

Virgin are rolling out 100Mb currently but only where you can
currently get Cable, Maidstone says "September", Gillingham says
"Being Planned"

Otherwise max home broadband speed is 50Mb (and that's still on Cable
otherwise its 40Mb and that's still if your lucky and willing to pay)

Currently the thing with Broadband is that speed is not everything, it
all depends about the providers, position on the network, and how much
caching they do and how well configured it is, etc etc, Often the
network speed issue is not the network speed but something else like
DNS, Cache or Number of Hops....

Peter.