[Klug-general] starting a website

MacGyveR macgyver at thedumbterminal.co.uk
Fri May 20 19:46:51 UTC 2011

On Friday 20 May 2011, Paul Lawrence wrote:
> AllI want to set up a web site with some information about my disabled
> grandson's condition and to support some fundraising, advertise events,
> download a quiz etc - not to collect donations. Probably no more than a
> handful of pages. Ideally I want to link it to an address in .org (say) or
> is there somewhere more suitable? I'd welcome some advice please on setting
> this up. Is there someone/an organisation who is low cost (expect low
> traffic) for novices? Would they accept some pages set up by, for instance,
> Word or Publisher or do I have to use a more sophisticated tool/template.
> I've seen a number of organisations that say they can do this .. what main
> things do I need to consider? Many Thanks, expect to be at meeting on 28th.
> Paul

Paul,
  I can do you website hosting for £12 a year, and will happily convert your
ms word or publisher files into a web format, or even setup a wordpress blog
at no extra cost.

If there are only a few pages with limited updates, learning a new web design
package is a bit much, unless you have the time and feel like it, here are
some simple options:

1) openoffice allows you to save in HTML.

2) Use an opensource content management system or blog, (examples: wordpress,
joomla), so you dont have to get involved in page design, just the content.

A .org is normally used for non-profit organisations, a .me.uk would be a
cheaper and suited option in my opinion.

Hope this helps.

Ps.
I tried not to make this post a plug, I'm one of the owners of Development
Island Hosting, we help out a few people in a similar position already:
http://www.devisland.net