[Klug-general] Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity and then VirtualBox printing

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Wed May 25 11:09:04 UTC 2011

Good morning all,

I took the plunge and installed Ubuntu 11.04 under Unity. Bit of a steep
learning curve but very interesting. Everything seems to have been
installed OK.

My one big need is VirtualBox to run my Sage accounts under windoze.
That also installed OK but the existing printer links don't work as they
did when the Linux was PCLOS. I used to have the printer under
PCLOS/VB/windoze as a network printer with the address as:

http://192.168.2.2:631/printers/EpsonRX520 and it worked fine.

I've checked under Unity and the printer still has that name and the
properties show that it is ticked as 'shared' but the VB/Windows doesn't
find it. So I uninstalled it and tried again with no luck

Am I doing something silly here? Is there a different form of address
under Unity/Gnome. I have no experience of the latter as previously the
systems was KDE.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

MikeR
in Folkestone