[Klug-general] [klug-general] May 2011 Meeting Synopsis

Colin McCarthy binarysignal at gmail.com
Mon May 30 22:15:57 UTC 2011

On Saturday 28th May KLUG meet at
http://www.innovationcentremedway.co.uk/in Chatham.

The fourteen people in attendance where

Colin
Paul Littlefield
Gavin
James
Tom
David
Fred
Daniel
Peter
Matthew
Antonio
Paul Laurence
Rodney
Sam

*Tour of ICM*

Matt gave us a quick tour of the Innovation Centre and the not a Hackerspace
Hackspace http://www.icmp.org.uk/ which is being setup. The tour was
broadcast live on Ustream and watched by two KLUGGERS unable to attend.

*OpenVPN*

Paul gave a talk on OpenVPN www.openvpn.net and did a demo of how to connect
to a remote server from XP or Linux. Notes on how he sets up OpenVPN can be
found here. http://indie-it.com/wiki/index.php/OpenVPN

*Fluxbox Window Manager*

David gave a talk and demo on Fluxbox, an alternate Window Manager to KDE
and Gnome. David's setup guide can be found here.
http://david-halliday.co.uk/wiki/doku.php?id=linux:system:ubuntu_11.04#fluxbox_customisation

*Ustream*

Because we had a reliable and fast internet connection we streamed the
meeting live on Ustream. Recordings of the meeting are here.
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15009519
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/15011897

Next time I will see if the webcam can be configured to broadcast a clearer
image. Live viewers (we had 8 at one point) said the audio was very clear
which is good.

Thanks to everyone who attended or watched Live it was a great meeting.

KLUG now has £45.30 in its donation pot so I suggest we give £25 to a FLOSS
project.