[Klug-general] CLI for resources?

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 09:55:10 UTC 2011

If he has windows on the box there is an application called speccy that is
free (as in beer not freedom). This can tell you a lot about your computer
hardware: http://www.piriform.com/speccy

Under Linux there is:
cat /proc/cpuinfo

Lots of entries under /proc/ and /dev/ contain information (often more than
you need) about the system.

For memory you can use the "free" command.

#for memory in gigs:
free -g
#for memory in megs:
free -m

#to look at disk usage: ( -h uses 'human' readable figures in the output
switching between megs and gigs etc... as it deems appropriate).
df -h