[Klug-general] rsync woes, or, version control for web-developers?

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 09:12:36 UTC 2011

I've just hosed several long hours worth of PHP coding/bug-fixing with
rsync. The other day I'd made some minor modifications on the server
and didn't want to download the entire directory so I thought I'd try
rsync for the first time. It worked and I was pleased.

This morning however I wanted to upload some modifications but
couldn't remember the command so I grep my history and without
thinking copy, paste, and execute the same command all over.

No no backup.

For some reason... I just don't understand why but I had it in my
thick head I can't use git or svn or anything with my shell account.
But git is installed there, but I've only ever used github.com before
now so only know one side of the story so to speak.

Any tips?

James.