[Klug-general] 11.11.11 11:11:11

Peter Childs PChilds at bcs.org.uk
Sat Nov 12 21:30:22 UTC 2011

On 11 November 2011 12:48, Paul Littlefield <info at paully.co.uk> wrote:

> On 11/11/11 12:30, Colin McCarthy wrote:
>
>> I missed it. Did the world end?
>>

> Nearly... but it was out by 2 days and not quite on course.
>
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/**science-environment-15572634<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15572634>
>
> :-)
>
> Paully

I find it worrying and sad, that days can't have there true meaning. We
have given up on the 11th November being Remembers Day and instead move it
to the Sunday afterwards, were it gets forgotten. When it truth it should
be a National Holiday to remember all those who have died for their country.

At the same time 11-11-11 gets remembered for the wrong reason for
its mathematical significance in the base 10 number system. When from a
Computer (and mathematical) point of view we ought to be using something
closer to Hex, Binary, or Babylonian system (ie 360)?

And yet more interesting and difficult dates are likely to be forgotten
such as 19th Jan 2038

If you want a numeric Date today is 7DB-B-C

Peter