[Klug-general] Technical Meeting Saturday 26th November (Antonio Mendoza Mendoza)

Paul Lawrence paul.z.lawrence at btinternet.com
Tue Nov 29 20:26:22 UTC 2011

Thanks Antonio ...

All,
These for my benefit.

As I chatted to Antonio on Saturday about recent experiences, I was saying that my wife's bank account has been hacked twice (fully refunded, thankfully) on different M$ machines. Both OSs are up to date and running M$ Security Essentials as well as Firefox & Rapport and we don't use bookmarks. Since the last time, I've toyed with the idea of using a Live CD to create a one-shot session whenever we need to access the bank but have compromised and set up a new standard user that we use for just accessing bank using Firefox/IE8 plus Rapport. Plus I'll look at the links in Antonio's em.

I'm running various flavours of Ubuntu but meeting a degree of resistance and inertia to a full deployment. I don't think my bank credentials were hacked but off course all accounts were affected.

Must also say that if I was the bank I think I'd like to chat to me about what I was doing and what I was using to try and find out if the risk is customer or bank-side especially as we've had two incidents. But alas all we've had is a pretty slim pamphlet. So disappointed there.

BTW, really enjoyed Saturday. Maybe sometimes, the best agenda is no agenda.