[Klug-general] P.C. Cut out

David Halliday david.halliday at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 15:36:31 UTC 2011

Can you be more specific about "Stops working", are we talking complete
system hang or go slow or something else?

Some suggestions off the top of my head:

   - Try it with a "Live CD" distribution (or two) to rule out anything
   with the machines software installation.
   - I had trouble with an old laptop which had a software controlled fan
   for the CPU (save power when the CPU isn't that hot) I had to install acpi
   stuff and all of a sudden the problems went away:
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface
   - If you are more technical/linux aware:
   - Have a look at output of: dmesg
      - Have a look at: /var/log/message
      - Have a look at output of: lspci
      - Play with memtest

Not strictly all Linux but you might find a lot of handy tools for hardware
testing and diagnostics on this CD:
http://ubcd.sourceforge.net/