[Klug-general] A cli for bulk owner changes?

Michael E. Rentell michael.rentell at ntlworld.com
Sat Oct 22 10:45:49 UTC 2011

On 22/10/11 10:50, Mike Evans wrote:

> On 22/10/11 10:05, Michael E. Rentell wrote:
>> Excellent. Very very many thanks for that Mike.
>
> You're welcome, and kudos to  MacGyveR for remembering about the :
> which allows you to combine the two commands.
>
> Now that the disaster has passed may I suggest that you look a little
> more closely at the way you back up and restore?  It should be
> possible to preserve users and groups during that process and most
> commands have flags/switches/options designed for doing this.  This is
> often not the default behaviour (which always seemed bizarre to me) so
> you have to specify to keep permissions, owner and group, often with a
> -a or -A option.
>
> If you had a lot of users it becomes important as restoring
> appropriate permissions would be tedious.  In addition, it is a rather
> sweeping assumption that all the files under a user's home directory
> do in fact belong to the user's login group.  (Generally true but
> users may, for a variety of reasons, choose to change the default
> group of a file or directory to give other users and programs more or
> less access to it.)
>
> Mike

Thanks for the advice Mike. This is just my home setup with one desktop
wired to another for backup. I use grsync but I think I must have
forgotten to tick the save users and groups boxes on my last backup. I
usually do a total backup of my home directory every Wednesday but I
have had some problems recently so I missed the last one. Updating
ubuntu lost me some data - like I say 'don't ask' I'm sure it was my
fault. It will take me a day to re-key that data so it isn't too bad.
It keeps me outa the pub don't it?
MikeR