[Klug-general] USB & rsync +file exclude?

sharon kimble boudiccas at talktalk.net
Thu Sep 29 20:23:00 UTC 2011

On Thursday 29 September 2011 21:01:03 Laurence Southon wrote:
> On 29/09/11 18:01, sharon kimble wrote:
> > i have the following stanza in my users crontab backup.sh; =
> > #shell script for use with rsync in user crontab
> > if [ -d /media/disk/ ]; then
> >
> >    /usr/bin/rsync -av /home/boztu/ /media/disk/`/bin/date +%Y%m%d`/ \
> >
> >    >> /home/boztu/cron/backup.txt
> >
> > fi
>
> If you are doing daily backups where a lot of files don't change you
> might like to look at the rsnapshot Debian package.
>
> It uses rsync and can use the --link-dest option to rsync that will hard
> link files that don't change, so the extra disc space used for each
> backup is only the size of the files that have changed. That way you can
> keep a lot of versions (I usually keep 30 days worth) and be able to
> retrieve any of them.
>
> It is well documented if you Google, and reasonably easy to configure.
> There is a good introduction here:
>
> http://www.debian-administration.org/article/Simple_rotated_backups_with_rs
> napshot

Thanks Lawrence for the idea but I used rsnapshot when |I was running centos
as my desktop, and twice it ate all space on my hard drive, and it was the
devils own job to reclaim the space. Since then I stay well away from it, and
am quite happy using rsync. Twice a month I gzip a complete days backup and
then when I have several gzips I burn them to dvd, and store it well away from
the computer. So far, its worked!

Take care
Sharon.
--
A taste of linux = http://www.sharons.org.uk/taste/index.html
Debian 6,0.2, KDE 4.4.5, LibreOffice 3.4.3