[Klug-general] Lenovo Q180

alex.layfield at sky.com alex.layfield at sky.com
Sun Apr 15 15:22:50 UTC 2012

Hey all, I'm having issues with the onboard ATi on this machine...

Ubuntu11, Mint10, Mint11, Mint12, Lubuntu.

All work when booted from LiveCD...

Installations go perfectly.

N.B.
Install went perfectly @ home using my 32" TV.

Now in the 'office' using normal monitors (19" Samsung, 19" Xerox, 21"Benq)... no cigar...

Thought a dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg might work. Did once, but on reboot, no cigar.

Can't even 'Shift' to Grub Menu now.

I hv 2 of these machines, & both behave the same...

Have reinstalled from scratch... no cigar... Wtf?

There are issues with proprietary ATi driver with gdm, so I haven't gone down that path (again)...

When the system doesn't boot into X (hdd light seems 2 calm down, & moving the mouse creates an odd screen blip), Ctrl+Alt+F1/2/3/4/5/6 doesn't show any terminal, tho' 7 does bring me back to dodgy screen.

This doesn't happen on my Panasonic 32" TV @ home, all is well with the world there. Just with a range of monitors here, different sizes tried.

I set the res to 800x600 @ home, brought them back in, no cigar.

I'm confused, if not flummoxed!

Am going 2 try Mint LXDE & Mint KDE, then CentOS, I 'spose?

To see if it's a Gnome thing, tho' Lubuntu did the same...

So p'haps an Ubuntu "t'ing"? Debian?

Update: LXDE does the same...

This could, of course, be down to Unity, but the Mint doesn't use it... Compiz issue?

Update: Haven't changed anything... LXDE now working...????

Update: Reboot to issue again... almost a resolution issue, but not...

One thing I noticed was after a few failed boots (not as far as resolution issue (as that gets 'recorded' as a successful boot) but stopped b4, eventually a grub screen, then all works, but on reboot, all goes to 'pot' again...

Help, I'm going nuts...

/A