[Klug-general] bootloaders and shared /boot [was:Re: H Drive mount]

James Morris jwm.art.net at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 21:24:31 UTC 2012

On 10 February 2012 21:03, David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, they can all sit under /boot/
> Grub2 and grub legacy can both do that.
> Just back it up before hand just in case but I never had problems till I
> tried to install windows.

In subdirectories within boot - like I mention - do you mean?
Or by given each distribution's kernel a different name so they don't
overwrite each other?

(Ie in Arch it's just vmlinuz-linux, unsure about other distros)

Anyway, I've just installed syslinux as a boot loader and moved my
kernel into /boot/arch and booted sucessfully on the second attempt.
Very very easy https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Syslinux#Automatic_Install_-_syslinux

The only problem with this method is how to force the custom kernel
location for each distro? Google doesn't turn much up.

Will just have to move the kernel by hand for now.

James.