[Klug-general] bootloaders and shared /boot [was:Re: H Drive mount]

Roger Gammans rgammans at gammascience.co.uk
Sat Feb 11 00:58:29 UTC 2012

I actually like grub 2 .

Admittedly that is due to understanding gleaned from a mammoth debugging session where its userspace liner was adamant about doing the wrong thing.

It's sort of like mini kernel, custom linked for the modules needed to read /boot, then extra modules can be dynamically loaded to do other stuff.

Grub can actually read ext2 filesystems, so as long as the multiple kernels have different names they can all coexistent in a single /boot. (and you are not restricted to ext2 either).

David Halliday <david.halliday at gmail.com> wrote:

Yes, they can all sit under /boot/
Grub2 and grub legacy can both do that.
Just back it up before hand just in case but I never had problems till I tried to install windows.

On Feb 10, 2012 8:30 PM, "James Morris" <jwm.art.net at gmail.com> wrote:

On 2 February 2012 06:53, Peter Childs <pchilds at bcs.org> wrote:

> Grub2 too feels like a advanced/revampted version of Lilo, not
> any improvement on Grub-legacy at all. Its fine once you get used to it, but
> its no where near as simple and slic as Grub-legacy is ie a single text file
> you just change and it happens!.

I'm thinking about trying syslinux instead.

I want to share a /boot partition with sub directories for each distro
ie, /boot/arch, /boot/debian, etc. I don't think it's possible with
grub legacy and grub2 is too scary. Anyone tried sharing a /boot
partition?

James.